We are super excited to see all young engineering geologists, geoscientists, geoprofessionals, geotechnical engineers and environmental scientists at the IAEG/AEG 2018 congress in San Francisco!
We have a selection of official (in the programme) and unoffical social events that have been carefully planned by the dynamic SYPSC team from the AEG! Follow along on Twitter (@realYEGs) or Linkedin.
The official events include:
- Sunday 16.09, 5:15 – 6:15pm – Student/Professional Networking Reception (Waterfront CDE room at hotel)
- Run it like a “speed dating” event – students sit in small groups at tables, and professionals join them and answer questions, talk about their careers, and discuss how they got started in the industry.
- Monday 17.09, 7 – 9pm – Young at Heart Happy Hour (Pedro’s Cantina – about 20 minute walk from hotel)
- Relaxed networking event in a delicious Mexican cantina!
- Please register in advance if you haven’t already! $10 for professionals, free for students.
- Monday 17.09, 3:45 – 5:00pm – Richard Walters Prize event
- technical sessions from four nominees displaying technical excellence. come and support your YEG colleagues!
- Tuesday 18.09, 9:20am – 12 noon – “”Get a Job & Make It Your Own” Session (Marina room)
- Led by AEG President Greg Hempen, PhD, PE, RG – A Presentation Leading to Students’ Comments and Discussion
Unofficial events– these are lighter social events that provide a great opportunity to relax and explore the area together:
- Tuesday night 18.09 – Adventure in Oakland!!!
- Meet in hotel lobby at 7pm, head to BART (the subway) and take the train across the bay to 12th Street Oakland where you’ll start at Cafe Van Kleef: one of Oakland’s oldest, weirdest and tastiest bars. If you’re lucky, you might catch the notorious Tamale Lady as she makes her rounds selling her delicious homemade tamales out of a cooler!
- After that, wander wherever your sense of adventure takes you! Options within a few blocks of Van Kleef include: Diving Dog Brewhouse (SO many beers), Woods Bar & Brewery (great empanadas!), Awaken Cafe (wonderful local coffee and affordable cafe food), Make Westing (people watching and fancy cocktails), Rudy’s Can’t Fail Cafe (great burgers and milkshakes!), and Little Giant Ice Cream.
- Make your way home via BART, or catch a Lyft/Uber.
- Wednesday night 19.09 – drinks & food at Schroeder’s German Beer Hall. http://www.schroederssf.com
- Schroeder’s is two blocks from the hotel (a 5 minute walk). This is an easy walk after field trip day. They have big open seating tables in the beer hall, and serve yummy German food. Comparatively cheap, a bit divey, just the ticket! Meet at Schroeder’s from 6pm onward.
- Thursday night 20.09 – Exploratorium After Dark
- Phenomenally cool science museum, open Thursday nights for an adults-only event with music and drinks! Check out science exhibits, people watch, or just take in the glorious views of the Bay from the terrace.
- 15 minute walk from the hotel, $20 entrance fee. Event runs 6-10pm. Meet in the hotel lobby at 6pm, or make your way there on your own and meet at 7:30pm on the north end of the Bay Observatory Terrace.