Next up in our ‘get to know us better’ interview series we have Changdong (Frank) Li from China.
Frank is a member of the YEG committee and a professor at China University of Geosciences (Wuhan). His research interests involve the stability evaluation of slopes, evolution mechanism of landslides and control measures for geological hazards.
How and why did you get interested in engineering geology?
- I engaged in a lot of research and industrial projects related to the field of engineering geology. There remain some difficult problems to be solved during the mitigation and control of geohazards. I always conduct the field investigation of landslides.
Where and when did you obtain your undergraduate degree and, if appropriate, your graduate degree(s)?
- I obtain my undergraduate bachelor degree in 2004 and Ph.D degree in 2009.
Who have/has been your most inspiring mentor/supervisor?
- Huiming Tang in China University of Geosciences (Wuhan).
If you did a thesis, what was your thesis topic?
- Study on Interaction Mechanism between Anti-slide Pile and Landslide Mass and Pile Optimization.
With what companies/organizations did you (have you) worked?
- China University of Geosciences (Wuhan).
What are your main areas of interest within engineering geology?
- Stability evaluation of slopes, multi-scale tests of rock/soil mass, multi-fields evolution mechanism of landslides, control measures for geological hazards, etc.
What were (have been) the most memorable projects you’ve been involved with?
- From 2011 to 2015, Basic Research on Evolution and Control of Disaster Landslide Induced by Great Engineering, National Key Basic Research Program of China (“973” Project).
Have you been in IAEG or your local young group?
- I am the committee member of China National Group of IAEG.
Have you won any awards (honours) for your technical achievements or your contributions to your profession? If so, what were they? Any other notable achievements?
- National Science and Technology Progress Award, China, 2019 (Rank3);
- Provincial Technology Invention Award of Hubei Province, China, 2018 (Rank1).
Is there anything else you would like to add?
- Welcome to visit my website on ResearchGate: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Changdong_Li2.
If you would like people to contact you, please add your preferred method(s), e.g. email, LinkedIn, Facebook, Instagram etc.
- E-mail: email@example.com.